Universal H.V. power supply
Selectable: VOLTAGE DOUBLER or BRIDGE RECTIFIER CIRCUIT
WARNING THIS POWER SUPPLY USES LETHAL VOLTAGES!
THIS IS NOT A BEGINNERS PROJECT!
IF YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH HIGH VOLTAGE BEFORE, SEEK THE ADVICE OF SOMEONE WHO HAS!
IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!
Universal HighVoltage Power Supply PCB Only
The Tactical Radio Gear, Universal H.V. power supply is intended for amateur radio amplifiers, requiring up-to a 4.5KV plate supply. The design is conservatively rated for 4500 VDC @ 2A ICS; and contains most everything needed on one PC board.
The Universal H.V. power supply is unique, in that either a Bridge or voltage-doubler configuration can be selected. Every feasible protection & safety possibility has been included in this design.
Available as a completely assembled, and tested High Voltage DC Power rectifier assembly or a bare PCB.
Dimensions of the board: 6.9” x 7.97” inches. (See the mounting template) for the PCB hole pattern. The height above the PCB is determined by the capacitor used, (1.97” inches nominal for the 50mm caps).
For those planning to build their own, the voltage rating of the filter capacitor chosen, will determine the power supplies maximum working voltage. The PCB layout uses the popular snap-in electrolytic capacitors:
The Universal H.V. power supply will accept the common 30mm, (1.18”), or 35mm, (1.39”) diameter snap-in capacitors. (1.97” inches nominal for the 50mm caps). Ten capacitors are required, each one having provision for its own equalizing resistor.
Assembled Unit Components
- The assembled Universal H.V. power supply, uses: 10 x 35mm×50mm, capacitors: 680uF @ 450vdc. Tolerance: +/-20% Temperature rating 105˚C
- 20 x 1KV @ 10amp diodes, with 600A peak surge (10A10) 5 x per leg
- 1/4” terminals or solder the wires to the board
- 5 insulated stand-offs’
- PCB MECHANICAL DETAILS
- The PCB is a Heavy-Duty 2mm thick board, with 2 ounce copper.
- ¼” - Spade lugs provide convenient connections, to make installation & removal of the module fast & easy.
- (5) X 8-32 mounting holes are provided, for the insulated 2” stand-offs, to mount the PCB.
- A .01uF @ 1KV disc, capacitor is provided for each of the rectifier diodes. These caps suppress the commutation spikes that are generated, when the diodes turn on to charge the reservoir capacitor near the peak of the input sine wave.
These suppression capacitors are especially essential for sensitive equipment, like high-performance transceivers’ where commutation spikes can infiltrate the whole system?
- Each diode has a 160K/3W equalizing resistor, for additional spike/surge and glitch protection; common with some types of tubes; and AC Line service(s)? They also provide a bleed-down path.
- Provisions for meter multiplier resistors, are located at both the B- & B+ ends of the power supply. Multiple accessory (3W) resistor outlines, are provided on each buss, to allow the user to design their own IP monitoring arrangement & glitch resistor if mounted on the PCB.
- The builder can determine what value(s) of equalizing resistors are best for their particular circuit arrangement.
This supply has two bleed-down paths for safety: The multiplier resistor string and the equalizing resistor string.
NEVER ASSUME THEY ARE WORKING!!
ALWAYS FOLLOW THE SAFETY PROCEDURES ABOVE
AND STAY ALIVE!!!